No one ever said parenting would be easy – but parenting a teen is, in so many ways, an especially difficult task. Science shows us that parents can have a huge impact on their teens’ choices and lives; but only if they’re equipped with the right information.
It’s important to remember your power as a parent. Here are suggestions on ways you can reduce the chance your teen will drink, use drugs or engage in other risky behavior:
1) Build a warm & supportive relationship with your child. Research shows that children who can count on their parents’ support and warmth are less likely to use drugs and alcohol. This can mean everything from discussing shared interests and engaging in activities together to keeping your anger and emotion in check when talking with your teen. More >
2) Be a good role model when it comes to drinking, taking medicine and handling stress. When it comes to alcohol and other drugs, children are likely to model their parents’ behaviors — both healthy and unhealthy ones. More >
3) Know your child’s friends. It sounds simple, and it is. You, as the parent, set the foundation for your child’s interaction with his friends. As your child gets older, his friends play a more important role in the choices he makes. Knowing who they are and a little about them can help you to be more prepared to intervene if a problem occurs. More >
Want to learn more and read about all six parenting practices?
Resources like this are available free of charge because of generous donations. Please consider making a donation now so we can continue to help families every day. We appreciate your support.
For more parenting tips, visit us at drugfree.org.
- Philadelphia and Bucks County Recovery Houses
- In The Rooms
- Recovery Centers America PA
- Day Break Solutions Treatment Pa.
- My Recovery Online meetings
- Recovery Connections You Tube Channel
- Christian Rehab Center locator
- Jade Recovery Veterans Support
- HELP FOR TEENS
- Pregnancy Help Choice One
- ARS All Resource Solutions
- Pro Act Philly
- Rehab Help
- Northbound Veterans Help
- Costal Detox Fla.
- TAKE 12 RADIO SHOW