Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Image

Reflecting on My Addiction and Recovery, Then and Now
Andrew Kiezulas, young person in recovery, and sister
We asked Andrew Kiezulas, a young man in long-term recovery, to write about his path to recovery. Through journaling and thoughtful reflection, his story is one that recognizes the power of family support and hope.

Feb 3, 2007
Agony. A fall on ice. Nearly paralyzed. Doctors prescribe pills for pain.

They don’t tell you they also treat mental, emotional and spiritual suffering. Growing up I mostly kept it together, finding relief from pain and depression through rough sports, acting out, the bottle and occasional powder. But I fall head over heels when given opioids.

Once a collegiate athlete, I become a prisoner in my home and mind, unable to leave either without them. I battle for years to literally get my feet back under me. Now only the needle brings comfort. Trauma turned PTSD mixed with a life-altering injury. Meet severe substance use disorder (SUD). I find out the hard way: trauma isn’t just what happens to you, it’s what happens in you.

I’m not ready for this and I don’t want it, but life happens and things change.
Read More

Image
Parent Toll-Free Helpline1-855-DRUGFREE
drugfree.org

© Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
352 Park Ave South | 9th Floor | New York, NY 10010
 

No comments:

Post a Comment