Monday, September 10, 2018

“If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.”  ~~Frances Hodgson Burnett

“Perspective is the way we see things when we look at them from a certain distance and it allows us to appreciate their true value.”  ~~Rafael E. Pino
 
“It’s not only moving that creates new starting points.  Sometimes all it takes is a subtle shift in perspective, an opening of the mind, an intentional pause and reset, or a new route to start to see new options and new possibilities.”  ~~Kristin Armstrong

Statement #11:
 Enthusiasm is my daily exercise.
I treasure the moments of my New Life.

 In our face-to-face group, I like to share how I ‘get’ to do some of those “unremarkable” things in sobriety and recovery.  In the past it was easy to overlook small moments, but with the practice of Statement #11, it becomes easier to treasure moments that we may once have taken for granted.
 
A beautiful example of Statement #11 in action happened at our annual WFS Conference a few years ago.  In one of the workshops, Nancy Cross (who lovingly established the WFS Online Forum) brought a small glass or possibly marble rabbit and sent it around the circle that we were sitting in so that each woman present could hold and touch this tiny treasure. As this little rabbit went from hand to hand, Nancy shared with the group that she wanted to re-energize this little bunny and take each of us home with her.  We had just become treasures.
 
Instead of dreading an activity or task, it is possible to feel content or even grateful for the experience.  Fresh perspective encourages embracing the treasures all around us, and Statement #11 leads the way. Friendships, family, experiences can become filled with awe and wonder.  This Statement can also help cement sobriety and recovery, and like all exercises, invigorates and strengthens.
 
Hugzzz
Karen
Hi 4C Women,
Karen's perspective regarding Statement #11 came at just the right time for me. In preparation for a family wedding, I was fluctuating between enthusiasm in seeing the whole family, including my son, and the thought of driving 15 hours. Enthusiasm and a bit of dread all caught in one moment's thoughts! So how to stick with the enthusiastic part of gratefulness, as Karen suggested, is the question. If there is any Statement that helps to bring focus to such a situation, it surely is Statement #11. It guides us to consider how our thoughts have a huge impact on the outcome of a specific situation/event/interaction with people in our lives.  Do we automatically respond with dread or do we shift our focus to the possibilities of adventure, learning new skills, the joy of spontaneity or unexpected positive benefits from taking a risk, overcoming a fear by facing the unknown?  
 
I've been reflecting on just that. Thinking about my decision to quit drinking certainly did not initially bring about a feeling of enthusiasm or considering how much I would treasure the moments of my New Life. Yet, I took that risk and wow, how much my life has changed, how I learned that fear can be faced with full force and surviving becomes thriving. The woman who automatically said no was now saying yes and became filled with wonderful surprises, unexpected and treasured adventures and relationships. What surprised me the most is my confidence began to take hold as I relished the feeling of enthusiasm. There are still situations I struggle with yet I am not fearful that I will remain stuck. It's part of living and years ago, I finally learned and understood that life is change, growth is possible and it's important to choose wisely. I will make mistakes along the way yet I do know that I want more enthusiasm than dread when new situations arise and I have the tools given to me by WFS to reflect and choose wisely.  

  • How do you experience enthusiasm?  
  • What tools do you have to face your fears and be spontaneous, to thrive in your New Life?  
  • What is the last spontaneous moment you experienced?  
  • What ordinary moments do you treasure?
  • What does "being in the moment" feel like to you?

For some, creating a grateful journey keeps the focus of enthusiasm fresh and current. Consider writing down at least 2 experiences each day for a week that highlight your gratefulness for your New Life in recovery. Treasure these moments.  
 
Bonded in treasuring the moments of your New Life,
4C WFS Member

Special Sale: Booklet Grab Bags
Each grab bag contains a random assortment of booklets from our Legacy Literature Collection:

Total Retail Value: $15.00 or more
Sale Price: $5.00
All Booklet Grab Bag sales are final - sorry, no returns or exchanges on this item.
Copyright © Women for Sobriety, Inc. | All rights reserved | Federal ID # 23-1972763
Email: contact@womenforsobriety.org | Ph: 215.536.8026 | Fax: 215.538.9026
Women for Sobriety, Inc. | P.O. Box 618Quakertown, PA 18951-0618
 | About our service provider
Sent by contact@womenforsobriety.org

No comments:

Post a Comment