Thursday, March 29, 2018


Was Your Child Denied Coverage for Addiction Treatment? File an Insurance Parity Complaint

by Courtney Hunter, Director of Advocacy and Government Affairs at the Partnership
Filing insurance complaint
It can be absolutely heartbreaking when insurance coverage for addiction treatment for your son or daughter’s substance use is denied. You’ve worked so hard to get to this point — to get your child the help he or she needs — only to have your insurance company tell you that they won’t pay for treatment. But many parents and families don’t know that it’s within their rights to appeal, and in fact it’s illegal in most cases for insurance companies to deny coverage for substance use disorder when it’s medically necessary.

When denied coverage for substance use disorder or mental health treatment, you can file an appeal with your insurance company, and you also can file a complaint with your state insurance commissioner and Attorney General. It is the job of the state insurance commissioner and state Attorney General to look into your complaint and investigate. Therefore, it’s critical to file complaints if you suspect you are being denied your health insurance benefits, so they will be able to ensure that everyone is receiving the care they deserve.
Read All About Filing a Complaint

Parent Toll-Free Helpline1-855-DRUGFREE

© Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
352 Park Ave South | 9th Floor | New York, NY 10010

No comments:

Post a Comment