Tuesday, March 20, 2018

“I would say to always follow your dream.  And dream big because my whole career, including any of the things that I’ve accomplished, I never thought in a million years that I would be here.  So it proves that once you believe in yourself, and you put your mind to something, you can do it.”  ~~Simone Biles

“However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.  It matters that you don’t just give up.”  ~~Stephen Hawking

“Whatever you want in life, other people are going to want it too.  Believe in yourself enough to accept the idea that you have an equal right to it.”  ~~Diane Sawyer

Statement #12
 “I am a competent woman, and I have much to give life.”
 
I treasure the moments of my New Life.
Not believing in oneself knows no boundaries; from an Olympic athlete, community leader to a reflection in the mirror, anyone can become discouraged or distressed by feelings of lack or inadequacy.  Substance abuse demolishes the ability to feel able or competent, further decreasing self-worth and self-esteem.

Statement #12 in action increases self-belief.  In our Program Booklet, Jean writes, “Each of us is unique and has something very special to give.  Claiming and accepting our own competence is a vital aspect of our New Life.”  Answering the questions on page 32, “Can you identify your strengths?  Are you aware of moments throughout your life when you were competent?” offer insight into increasing competence.

Balancing a checkbook to solving a complex equation to winning an Olympic medal; are each born from asserting it is possible.  Starting with smaller actions such as making the bed or doing yoga every morning, it is possible to continue to build feelings of believing in the self and knowing it always.

Hugzzz
Karen

Hi 4C Women,

I read that self-esteem is the reputation we have with ourselves that includes self-respect, self-love and self-worth and a measure of how much we like and approve of our self-concept. It contains a wide variety of beliefs and images. Healthy self-esteem does not prevent us from having doubts or feeling occasionally inadequate. It permits us to view ourselves and the world around us realistically and to make wise choices in our lives.  

I use to do a lot of negative self-talk, always apologizing even when there wasn't a reason to, seeking approval from others because I didn't like myself, rejecting compliments and feeling so inadequate. There were those who believed in my abilities long before I did. Drinking quieted the voice in my head that kept telling me these people would soon realize I was a fraud. Fortunately, sobriety helped me build compassion for myself, forgiving my self-doubts and the willingness to continue challenging the inner critic when he appears to knock down my confidence with old messages that are not my truth today.  

So, I think to myself, what do I have to give to life? Where does my competency show in this world? How would you answer these questions?  

List 5 things you admire about yourself. Hopefully this will be easier to answer after completing the questions above.

I am worthwhile because....
I deserve...
I practice Statement 12 by doing ...

Bonded in competency,
4C WFS Member

Don't miss this workshop at the
June 8-10 in Center Valley, PA
Conf 2018
Relapse Prevention
Relapse Prevention planning is basic to recovery. Relapse is a process, not an isolated event. It is more than a return to drinking, it’s a return to negative addictive thinking, feeling, and behavior. Participants will receive handouts that will include an article by WFS founder, Dr. Jean Kirkpatrick, called “Understanding Relapse,” and there will be a role-playing segment so that participants can get involved in responding to events or other triggers.
Sue K/Zeecha (Peer Presenter) – Sue has long-term sobriety from alcohol and other drugs since 1996. She has been the Certified Moderator for the Champaign, IL, WFS group for several years. Many women know Zeecha as the auctioneer from the WFS Conference and her welcoming and friendly self. WFS has been the only program she has ever used. She credits Jean Kirkpatrick as her inspiration.
Christine S-J/CakeLady(Peer Presenter) – Christine has been 4C woman since July of 2015 and is also a stage-trained actress and former SAG member. She will be leading the role-playing segment of this workshop.
Check out Women for Sobriety's Blog Site.
If you received this from a friend, we welcome you to JOIN our email list.
Copyright © Women for Sobriety, Inc. | All rights reserved | Federal ID # 23-1972763
Women for Sobriety, Inc. | P.O. Box 618Quakertown, PA 18951-0618
 | About our service provider
Sent by contact@womenforsobriety.org

No comments:

Post a Comment