Tuesday, March 13, 2018

“Knowledge is power, but enthusiasm pulls the switch.”  ~Ivern Ball

“Treasure the things about you that make you different and unique.”  ~~Karen Kain

 “If you act enthusiastic, you become enthusiastic—and it spreads like wildfire!”  ~~Mary Kay Ash
Statement #11
 “Enthusiasm is my daily exercise.
 
I treasure the moments of my New Life.
“Enthusiasm?  You’ve got to be kidding!” I stammered.  Feeling nothing even remotely close to enthusiasm, I was busy focusing on just staying sober.  Enthusiasm?   Well, maybe later.  Reading the Statements each morning and anything else I could on addiction, the hours ticked away ensconced in the WFS Forum, and like a sponge, absorbing as much as possible.

In hindsight, I did have enthusiasm, I just didn’t recognize it.  Every little thing having to do with sobriety and recovery was so different and I was drawn like a moth to a flame to learn more.  Clear minded and newly open to ideas and suggestions, this new energy was pushing me further into this New Life and it felt, well, it felt comfortable.  This was something new!

In our Program Booklet Jean asks “have you ever known a person who can make shopping for an onion a rich experience?”  While initially I argued with this question; (…seriously who would do that? an onion?  really Jean?)  it is a treasure to see someone be so in tune with the moment and enthusiastically choose an onion. Yet the ultimate treasure is when I experience these moments… onion or not. 

What does enthusiasm feel like in your New Life?
Hugzzz
Karen
Hi 4C Women,

I relate to Karen's comments about the lack of feeling enthusiasm in early sobriety. I felt irritated and scared but also determined. As I learned and practiced healthier coping skills, I began to feel enthusiastic about my future. My goal that first year was to learn, grow and become a moderator. I wanted other women to experience the joy of having a New Life of freedom, choice and empowerment. 

When I first met Jean Kirkpatrick, I didn't think I had a problem and asked her if she thought I did. She looked at me and said, “If you have to ask, you do!” I knew in my heart she was right and that became very clear when I quit drinking. I hated coming home as that is where I did most of my drinking. At the time there was no Forum and I had to practice by putting the WFS Statements into action on my own. By the end of the year, I was very enthusiastic about starting a meeting. Twenty-nine years later, I am just as enthusiastic about being a moderator. It is my reward. It also built up my confidence in so many other areas. I went through a divorce that took 4 years, bought my first car, home and moved to Alabama to be near my daughter and granddaughter. I am blessed to witness the women in my group take on new adventures and sharing it with others. It gives me such great joy to be a part of their personal growth.  

Where are you on your enthusiasm journey? Have you taken a risk to try something totally out of your comfort zone or something you've been thinking about for a while? What was the outcome? And remember enthusiasm can be experienced in moments such as a beautiful sunset, the sound of birds chirping early in the morning, the first flower sprouting up, the color of leaves turning to beautiful shades of gold, red and yellow in the Fall, a child skipping delightfully in a puddle, a pet giving you the most awesome greeting, a new job that will use the gifts and talents you possess, the list goes on. I sometimes refer to it as the pursuit of enthusiasm, much like the pursuit of happiness.  We create it, we observe it and we rejoice in the uplifting feeling. 

Bonded in enthusiasm, 
4C WFS Member
Don't miss this workshop at the
June 8-10 in Center Valley, PA
Exercise for Every Body: Belly Dancing and Beyond!
Exercise as a form of self-care can be a powerful and effective tool in our recovery toolboxes. For many women who are in recovery from substance use disorders, negative feelings about their bodies have contributed to low self-esteem, stress, and using chemicals to cope with those feelings. Letting go of body shame and building up a healthy body image in its place can help us “create a new self that will provide us with a happy sobriety” (Jean Kirkpatrick, PhD). In this workshop, we will discuss the psychological as well as physical benefits of exercise and develop strategies to help us accept and love the bodies we live in every day. We will put these ideas into practice by learning some basic, gentle belly dancing steps and experiencing the joy of dancing together. No previous dancing experience is required and all bodies and all physical abilities are welcome! If you like, feel free to bring a colorful scarf to tie around your waist, a belly dancing hip scarf, a flowing skirt, or fun jingly jewelry.
Rebecca W/allRebecca (Peer Presenter)
Rebecca has been a WFS member since 2014 and was thrilled to become a Certified Moderator in October 2017. Regularly attending face-to-face WFS meetings and using the 13 Acceptance Statements of the New Life Program have been central to her long-term recovery. This fall, she is returning to school to become a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor in Minnesota. Rebecca has enjoyed many kinds of dancing as a hobby since middle school. She studied and taught Middle-Eastern dance at the Cassandra School and performed with Cassandra Shore’s Jawaahir Dance Company in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Check out Women for Sobriety's Blog Site.
If you received this from a friend, we welcome you to JOIN our email list.
Copyright © Women for Sobriety, Inc. | All rights reserved | Federal ID # 23-1972763
Women for Sobriety, Inc. | P.O. Box 618Quakertown, PA 18951-0618
About our service provider
Sent by contact@womenforsobriety.org

No comments:

Post a Comment