Tuesday, July 14, 2020

July's Newsletter and Happy Birthday Robyn!


As I work on our July newsletter, I am reminded of how precious life is and the importance of connection with our friends and family (whatever family is to you).

During this first 1/2 of 2020, Robyn and I have been challenged with many life lessons we were not expecting. I am so thankful that Robyn was with me and I was with her for all that we faced.

And for that I am truly thankful for my business partner. To me, Robyn is a gift to mental health. Her knowledge and way of being when speaking with people makes everyone feel at ease. Robyn's common sense and "being real" approach to our training, allows people to really get what peer support is all about.

As Robyn celebrates her birthday today, I will be reminding her that she matters to so many of us and there are so many more out there just waiting to experience her as a friend and leader in our field of mental health and peer support.

Happy birthday Robyn!

Charlotte
Robyn
Cutting her birthday cake last night
Robyn will be on the Peer Support for Peer Supporters' Zoom Session today

Join us in wishing her a Happy Birthday!
Mondays from 1:00pm - 2:00pm CDT


Meeting ID: 654 477 152
Password: 418173
From the World of Robyn Priest LIVE YOUR TRUTH

As Robyn says "We are just having the best time Living Our Truth!"

We finally have some space in our schedules to create new and exciting workshops and resources that we hope to launch in September. Some will be joining us live via Zoom and some will be purchasable to do at you own pace with a workbook and a recording. Always trying to create different opportunities for all to participate.

The workshops and resources will be for different audiences. Some will be for families and friends, some for individuals dealing with mental health and/or addictions issues, some specific to workplaces and some specific for peer supporters delivering peer support. We are all super excited to be able to take this next step in Robyn Priest Live Your Truth’s evolution.

The other big news is that Kirsten Drybrough, the Ambassador of Advocacy and Parent Support, is now contracting with us on a semi permanent basis. We have enlisted exceptional talent for at least the next year and hopefully, as we grow, longer.

Kirsten was part of our last two Exploration Facilitator Training which has a component of family peer support training. For us, family peer support is as important as individual peer support.
Kirsten, Robyn and Charlotte
Fall 2019
Toronto
While we have all that exciting news, I have also had some hard personal things occur.

My Grandma died in April and, due to Covid-19, I couldn’t get to her funeral. That being said, she had a long life; she was 105 when she died. Just imagine what she saw in her lifetime!!!!

I thought with that and all the uncertainty this year has been generous enough to offer for me to learn patience and flexibility, nothing more could happen…. Well how wrong was I!!!

On June 21st my brother died by suicide. I know that I know lots of people die by suicide and in my line of work I have known quite a few. I am realistic that no matter how good we are in supporting people, there will be times that people choose to take their life.

That being said, when I got that middle of the night call, I could not breathe, I just shook. I had been talking a lot with him since March 1st. We had talked everyday until the last few weeks. At that point, he had moved, and we started talking every few days. I knew he was dealing with having lost his job, not being able to find a new job in this environment and I knew he was struggling with his perceived ability to be the “man”, be the “bread winner”.

We talked about resources that might support him; many different options. I even asked him about training with us and then contracting with us; sharing with other executives about his story and how he was dealing with it.

Truth be told, I even asked him if he had considered suicide. He said yes but that he wasn’t going to and we had a long chat about my attempts, and how I got through those feelings these days.

My brother was my best friend growing up, and he was my buddy when we were older. I got advice from him, he chatted with me. Yes we butted heads and sometimes didn’t talk, other times we spoke everyday for years; just depended on what was going on in life at that time. No matter what, he was my mate and I loved him beyond belief.

Unfortunately, due to Covid-19 and other things, I wasn’t able to attend his funeral either in person or virtually. That was so distressing for me. So for my sanity I decided to do a Facebook live feed at the exact time of his funeral.

That was, for me, about us saying let’s start talking more about The “S” word…. Shhhh suicide! Let’s be open and honest with each other, let’s be passionately curious and if it occurs in our families, let's talk about it. If we can open the conversation up more and be real – maybe we have a shot about changing the statistics.

But let's be real, it's not about statistics, it’s about human beings and their lives and being there in ways that allow people to truly start to share how they feel.

  • I have always been committed to making a difference in the lives of others.
  • I have always believed in supporting people to see themselves as more than they see themselves to be, to Live Their Truth.
  • Now I am even more committed to reaching out to all and saying we are here.
  • We, I mean, fellow human beings.
  • I want to reach out to all of humanity to say let’s talk about this topic, no longer hide with fear, shame, guilt.

Are you with me? If you are then reach out and let’s put more thoughts as to how we can do this. I have ideas and I want the collective ideas.


Robyn
And for all of you who are on Facebook as well as You Tube




Check out Robyn's Fit n Fun for Mental Health on our You Tube channel where Robyn chats about mental health and what supports you can do for yourself and for others.

We are all in this together!

And remember

Social Connectedness in spite of
Physical Distancing
Robyn Priest Live Your Truth | 7 Castle Ridge Drive Winnipeg, Manitoba R3Y 1W1 Canada
About Constant Contact
Sent by charlotte@robynpriest.com in collaboration with
Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.
Try email marketing for free today!

No comments:

Post a Comment