Wednesday, April 18, 2018

“Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product.”  ~~Eleanor Roosevelt

“A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour.”  ~~Author Unknown

“No one is on control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change.”  ~~Beverly DeAngelis

Through the years, crafts have been fun hobbies and often I looked for exciting new things to do.  This led to a room full of projects in various stages of completion, which then led to feeling the opposite of my intentions; I felt guilt and anxiety instead of happiness.  Feelings of guilt escalated from not starting a new project and then anxiety settled in from merely looking at the unused art supplies. WFS provides healthy ways of managing feelings in sobriety and recovery, and, with Statement #3 in action, I was able to reclaim joy and contentment with creativity.

First, examining all the incomplete projects, I determined some favorite craft activities.  From there, I boxed up anything that was not a favorite and chose to give it away.  I shared acrylic paints with a woman who worked at sandwich shop, a girlfriend was given alpaca fleece, and many items were donated to a center devoted to teaching art to kids.  This created a portal for happiness to develop.

Feelings of guilt began to decrease and a sense of balance returned.  With a new focus on favorites, I am able to encounter opportunities to learn and experience the joy of creating.  Additionally, instead of feeling the need to collect more and more craft stuff, with Statement #3 in action, feelings of contentment outweigh chasing after flashy colors or bright lights.

Hugzzz
Karen

Statement #3
 “Happiness is a habit I am developing.”
 
Happiness is created not waited for.
Hi 4C Women,
I am beginning to feel that much of my happiness occurs for me when I share or give to others. I got that sense from Karen's message as well when she graciously gave away her craft items. I also have a big smile on my face when I decorate my house for the season or get organized. It creates a sense of accomplishment and perhaps that is how I show my creativity. 

I am attaching a calendar "Action for Happiness." I saw it on a website http://www.actionforhappiness.org and although it is dated for January, the activities could be used and repeated for every month of the year. Some are very easy and quick while others require planning and time. Either way, I hope you will be able to choose some that you feel could create happiness and share that with women in your group or online. Jean said that happiness comes in moments, not at big events although that could be the outcome. We are not able to command happiness to appear yet if we are aware of our surroundings, it will appear. Be in that moment.  

As Statement #3 tells us, happiness is a habit we are developing. It's been said that when we give up one habit, it is important to replace it with another. How wonderful that we can replace negativity, blaming others for our unhappiness and replacing it with awareness, discovery of what brings us joy and experiencing it authentically.  Bonded in Joyful Happiness! 

Bonded,
4C WFS Member 


Don't miss this workshop at the
June 8-10 in Center Valley, PA
Moderating Dynamic Meetings
For Certified Moderators and those seeking to become Certified Moderators…
This is a learning workshop! Positive tips, solutions and encouragement in leading or getting a WFS meeting started will be provided. This will be a sharing of experiences as well. Our goal is to keep the f2f meetings active and build confidence in creating new ones.
Some of the topics will include:
  • Locating a free meeting space
  • Promoting your meeting, and what to do if no one shows up
  • Following guidelines for moderating a meeting and what makes a successful group
  • Managing disruptive members and supporting women who struggle to maintain abstinence
  •  Taking responsibility only for yourself - understanding that some women aren’t ready yet
  • What would be helpful in a training video
  • Sharing one positive tip
Susie M/SueBee12 (Peer Presenter) - Susie has been a Certified Moderator for the WFS New Life Program for 19 years and currently serves as the organization’s Vice President. She found WFS on what she thought was her last chance to stop drinking. “If I didn’t find something along my line of philosophy then I’d just forget it. Not try anymore. Lucky for me, I found Dr. Jean Kirkpatrick’s book ‘Goodbye Hangovers, Hello Life’ in my local library.” Susie believes that she was lucky to have a meeting only 15 minutes from her home and credits the New Life Program with saving her life. She feels that her long-term success in the program (20 years of continuous sobriety!) has been supported by being a CM. “The two meetings I moderate are for me, too. I get back way more every week than I could have ever imagined.”
Co-Presenters include Dee W/GrandmaD (Honorary Board Member, President of WFS from 2006 to 2017, Co-author of WFS Monday Thoughts, long term CM) and Joan S (long term, Board of Directors member, and Secretary of WFS).
Check out Women for Sobriety's Blog Site.
If you received this from a friend, we welcome you to JOIN our email list.
Copyright © Women for Sobriety, Inc. | All rights reserved | Federal ID # 23-1972763
Email: contact@womenforsobriety.org | Ph: 215.536.8026 | Fax: 215.538.9026
Women for Sobriety, Inc. | P.O. Box 618Quakertown, PA 18951-0618
About our service provider
Sent by contact@womenforsobriety.org

No comments:

Post a Comment