Thursday, January 3, 2013
Tainted Cough Syrup Kills Scores of Addicts
More than 40 people have died in the city of Gujranwala in eastern Pakistan after consuming a locally manufactured cough syrup. Most of the victims were addicts who were using it for a cheap high. Two dozen people were pronounced dead at the weekend, bringing the total count up to 41. And some of another 46 people still being treated at local hospitals after becoming violently ill also remain in critical condition. The cough syrup in question, known as "Tyno," has been sent for lab testing to find out what made it was so deadly. Last month, 23 addicts died in the nearby city of Lahore after drinking a cough syrup to get high; the owners of three drug stores were arrested after officials determined that their cough syrup had been adulterated, causing it to become extremely toxic.