Saturday, January 28, 2012
Coroner Says Amy Winehouse Killed by Alcohol Overdose
Coroner Suzanne Greenway’s inquest report on the death of 27 year old Amy Winehouse lists massive consumption of alcohol as the cause of the singer’s ‘sudden and unexpected death.’
Although the family had speculated that alcohol withdrawal symptoms may have killed the singer, who had long battled drug and alcohol addictions, they responded to the news that she died with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.416 by saying that it was at least "some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy.”
A BAC Of 0.350 or greater is possibly fatal. No other drugs were found in her system at her time of death.
The coroner listed Winehouse as in good health at the time of death and explained that the massive quantity of alcohol likely stopped her breathing, causing her death.
In the months leading up to her overdose death Winehouse had struggled to control her drinking and had lapsed into a pattern of abstaining from alcohol for a period of weeks and then binging on alcohol for a period of weeks. She was on medications to control her anxiety and to manage alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
According to the coroner’s report, Winehouse had abstained from alcohol for 3 weeks prior to July 22nd but on July 23rd, after she was discovered to have died, 3 empty bottles of vodka were found in her London flat.
The Winehouse family released a statement to thank those that had supported them and added, “We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away - it is likely a build-up of alcohol in her system over a number of days. The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time.