Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Monday Thoughts 07/01/2019

“I dwell in possibility.” ~~Emily Dickinson

“There is no condition so severe that you cannot reverse it by choosing different thoughts. However, choosing different thoughts requires focus and practice. If you continue to focus as you have been, to think as you have been, and to believe as you have been, then nothing in your experience will change. ~~Mary Ann Hickman

“The best way out is always through.” ~~Robert Frost

Statement #1
  I have a life-threatening problem that once had me.
I now take charge of my life and my well-being. I accept the responsibility.

The thought of sobriety was terrifying to my alcohol damaged brain. How could I possibly live without alcohol? Drinking was the first line of defense and it worked for a long time, but then my life began to fall apart. Unable to see the connection between my misery and alcohol, I struggled and wallowed in self-loathing and negativity.

Initially, Statement #1 helped to retrain my brain. The words allowed me to understand that this was indeed a life-threatening problem. It was easy to think otherwise; denial had run very deep. Yet, repeating this Statement each morning enabled me to challenge justifications and begin to create a healthier thought process.

The continued practice of Statement #1 can be viewed as an insurance policy against relapse. Understanding the connection of well-being with sobriety, I engage in thought patterns that support my recovery. In our face to face group this past week, we had a wonderful discussion of how sobriety has facilitated empowerment and feelings of contentment. Taking charge feels absolutely great!
Hugzzz
Karen
Hi 4C Women,
I love the analogy of sobriety being like an insurance policy and the best part is that it is free! I pay a decent amount for long term care insurance just in case something may happen and I need to be in a nursing facility. It protects my family and my little bit of assets. Statement #1 offers protection on our lives and our loved ones as well, providing security as long as we keep it paid up with our sobriety.  The key, as Karen shares, is to remind ourselves each day that we are in charge of our lives and well-being. There is no more denial but acceptance of our responsibility. The beauty of WFS is that if we have a slip, the safest place to share, learn and keep moving forward without shame and guilt is in a WFS group. Our program is one of abstinence - that is the goal to having a New Life. Yet, we all have a personal path to that goal and sharing our journeys with each other is how we support, encourage and lift each other up. There is so much to discover and uncover about our true needs. For me, this is how I learned to take charge of my life. Once I knew what my needs were and allowed myself to actually express them, I realized that WFS provided the tools to achieve them. I also learned that life is not stagnant. As new and different situations arose that I was not quite prepared for at the time, I still had the foundation of sobriety and the WFS program to provide me with the ability to work through them.  I have a favorite saying that I actually got from a calendar several years ago and it helps me when a new challenge presents itself. "Life is change, growth is possible, choose wisely." Just as I chose to become sober, I must choose wisely in unsettling or changing situations. I learned what triggers me and I try my best to voice them long before they lead to an unhealthy choice. The biggest challenge is always family. The love, hurt, joy, pain and history all become entwined in my approach to problem-solving and decision-making. However, I am not one to give up or give in to harmful choices. I may be sad, angry, resentful or disappointed yet WFS has taught me to remain strong, resilient and always, always, hopeful.  
As you celebrate the 4th of July, think of your personal independence that you are in charge of and how freeing it is to accept the responsibility. Love, a 4C sister
Copyright © Women for Sobriety, Inc. | All rights reserved | Federal ID # 23-1972763
Email: contact@womenforsobriety.org | Ph: 215.536.8026 | Fax: 215.538.9026
Women for Sobriety, Inc. | P.O. Box 618Quakertown, PA 18951-0618
About Constant Contact
Sent by contact@womenforsobriety.org

No comments:

Post a Comment