Thursday, April 4, 2019

My Daughter's Substance Use + Mental Health



 

How I Knew My Daughter Was Using Substances and in a Mental Health Crisis
mother and daughter hugging
Mid-August was quickly approaching. My 11-year-old daughter was about to start middle school. I was not exactly looking forward to it, as I knew middle school can be a challenging transition and many pre-teens are just beginning to find themselves. I also knew that my sixth-grade daughter would also be exposed to older students; therefore, I assumed she’d be exposed to behaviors that I would not necessarily approve of. 

Working in the mental health and substance use field for over 10 years, I have always educated my daughter on the negative effects of drugs and alcohol. I can’t even begin to tell you how many in-depth conversations we’ve had regarding drugs being “poison for your body.” I was always pretty confident in that regard. 

The Genetic Predisposition 

As middle school loomed, my daughter’s father was very sick and had been for a while. He suffers from the disease of addiction since way before my daughter was born. It’s all she has ever known. Being as educated as I am, I also knew that alcoholism has a very strong genetic predisposition. I always believed that when my daughter would ask me questions about her father that the right thing to do was to be honest. That doesn’t mean I went into every single detail with her. It means that when she asked me a question I would answer it. I have always informed my daughter that addiction is a disease and it does not mean that your father is a bad person. It means that he is sick. Did you know that if a child has a biological parent that struggles with addiction they are more likely to develop addictive disorders themselves? That is the genetic predisposition. As a parent, because of this, I tried to implement moderation in my daughter’s everyday life with video games, sweets, etc. I knew that the “more more more and more is never enough” behaviors needed to be addressed and managed right away. 

“Where Did My Daughter Go?” 

It was like a light switch – my beautiful, kind and sweet daughter was spending all her spare time isolating in her bedroom away from the family. She’d have random outbursts and treated me very poorly. I kept asking myself, “Where did my daughter go?” It started to get really bad; worse than you could possibly imagine.

Read More
Partnership for Drug-Free Kids and Center on Addiction have merged. Learn More
PARENT HELPLINE
TEXT A MESSAGE TO 55753
VISIT DRUGFREE.ORG
 


© Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
Center on Addiction
633 Third Ave | 19th Floor
New York, NY 10017-6706

No comments:

Post a Comment