Saturday, November 8, 2014


The Fix: Addiction and Recovery, Straight Up
Best of the Week:
October 31–November 7
COMING UP IN THE FIX// Harm Reduction Conference Report * Bob Forrest *Addiction Memoirs * Miss Wisconsin * Prison Drug Smuggling by Seth Ferranti *Young, Sober, and Single * PLUS: Other incisive articles
CARRYING ON// A Sister's Grief and Charity
When my friend Alex was found dead, his sister Chelsea started an organization that turned the tragedy into something far more than a sad loss.
By Zachary Siegel
PROFESSIONAL VOICES// Depression: A Drop to Diagnose
Professional Voices returns to The Fix—Today's Column: The onward march of the medicalization of psychiatry and addiction treatment.
By Richard Juman
SPIRITUALITY// Have Some Compassion!
Renowned Buddhist teacher Jack Kornfield discusses how compassion, forgiveness and mindfulness can help free you from addiction.
By Cathy Cassata
LGBT// Sober Trans Housing
Many treatment centers and sober houses claim to be gay and trans-friendly, but that’s not always the case.
By Jason Parsley
SOBER LIVING// Homeless, Hungry and High
A former marine turned crack addict finds himself panhandling and running from the law until a wakeup call in the back of a police cruiser.
By Timothy Michael Biron
 
BEST OF THE QUICK FIX
So How Did Marijuana Do In the Election?
Uber's 'Price Surging' Policy Accused of Manipulating Drunk People
Darkcoin Now the Cryptocurrency of Choice for Online Drug Deals
California Reduces Drug Possession to Misdemeanor With Prop 47
One In Five UK Drug Users Unaware They Have Hep C
Silk Road 2.0 Operator Arrested, Faces 10 Years Behind Bars
COMMENT OF THE WEEK
Street Beat
This week, Timothy Michael Biron told his story aboutliving as a homeless addict. Readers appreciated his honest storytelling:
You're story hit home for me. I cried the whole way through. I felt like I was reading about myself, but with one difference I had a family and a daughter . They would take me back every time. Even every time I went to prison, which was 4 times. You're story gives me hope. I'm on a lot of meds for bi-polar and manic depression and when I have my low days its so hard not to fail. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I'm about to check myself into another rehab so we'll see. I'm a crack addict, dope fiend, pill head and junkie. I hope it works because my daughter is 12 and my parents are in their 60's and they wanna make sure I'm ok before they pass on. Well thanks for you're story you've giving me a lot of hope

-nola girl

No comments:

Post a Comment