Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Monday Thoughts 09/09/2019

“Treasure the things about you that make you different and unique.” ~~Karen Kain
“A woman who expresses enthusiasm about whatever she is doing radiates an aura that makes persons in her presence feel good.” ~~Jean Kirkpatrick, Ph.D.

“Truth is the property of no individual but is the treasure of all men.” ~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Statement #11
  Enthusiasm is my daily exercise.
I treasure the moments of my New Life.

Traveling is a favorite activity and recently my new passport arrived in the mail. It was a moment of sheer exhilaration; it meant the door was open to anywhere in the world. I languished in that moment for what seemed like an eternity, savoring each turned page and wondering what stamp might reside there. I felt Statement #11 beaming from within.

In the past I was unable to embrace the joy of planning an adventure. I felt such a need to escape my daily life that getting away (whether with alcohol or an airplane) was more important than anything else. Just like with drinking, when I did arrive at a destination, I could barely enjoy myself since I was already dreading facing reality again.

Today, Statement #11 aides in a sort of mindfulness if you will, of the present moment. Being able to treasure or be in this moment, and the next fills life with living. It is just as fun to discover, decide and plan when being in the moment. Even when those moments are long gone, feelings of lack do not take up residence since it was enjoyed the first time. The adventure begins with a truth…. all those precious moments add up to one great experience; a lifetime of dynamic living.

Here are some questions from our WFS Program booklet on Statement #11:

How can you increase your enthusiasm today?
What energizes you naturally?
How can you enjoy what you currently have?

Hugzzz
Karen
Hi 4C Women,
I have been reflecting a bit on the past, looking through journals and WFS messages over the years. This helps me in recognizing how I have internalized the 13 Statements and what work I still need to do. Enthusiasm comes in spurts for me. A lot depends on what is happening in my life. While I have learned phenomenal coping skills in WFS, I have also learned that this recovery journey is not a straight line because life doesn't work that way. For me, enthusiasm is more of a surprise and I love that. I have been in pain recently and that hinders my enthusiasm but I actually accept that and it's okay for now. I still have those enthusiastic moments and it could be as simple as an email from someone I haven't heard from in a while, catching up on what's happening in their lives; a call from a friend that is a deep conversation scattered with a belly laugh or two; an unexpected card in the mail saying someone is thinking of me. All of that brings joy to my heart. It makes the pain or other challenges bearable. It's a balance that I treasure. In looking over old messages regarding Statement 11, I came across two that couldn't be further apart. I shared how I decided to make calls to friends on one Sunday after I experienced a youth service in church on "Where is the Love?" I also decided to call my daughter-in-law and ended up crying for a couple of hours from the hurtful things she said. Unfortunately, I didn't have a date on the message and fortunately I don't recall what she said that hurt me so much. They were married in 2011 so I'm sure it was in that year. Then I found a message that described the most wonderful moment with my granddaughter when she was 8 years old, visiting me in NJ. She asked me to dance while blowing bubbles. I hesitated but put the music on, twirling around and blowing bubbles all around the room. She started laughing and said, "I always knew there was a kid inside of you, Grandmom." I learned in that moment to let go of hesitation and express childlike joy. 

It is comforting to know that I can remember that moment and forgot the unkind words that hurt me. I choose to recall joyful moments as best I can and create more awareness of those enthusiastic ones that surprise and delight me!  
 
A few questions regarding enthusiasm/joy:
 
What puts a smile on your face?
What do you find easy? (Fun leads to happiness and that leads to joy)
What sparks your creativity?
What would you do for free?
What do you like to talk about? (Ask your friends what topic makes your eyes brighten up)

Bonded in learning what brings enthusiasm/joy to our lives, your 4C sister
Check out our Moving Sale!
Copyright © Women for Sobriety, Inc. | All rights reserved | Federal ID # 23-1972763
Email: contact@womenforsobriety.org | Ph: 215.536.8026 | Fax: 215.538.9026
Women for Sobriety, Inc. | P.O. Box 618Quakertown, PA 18951-0618
About Constant Contact
Sent by contact@womenforsobriety.org

No comments:

Post a Comment