Thursday, September 10, 2020

Addiction was my disease. I am recovered.

Partnership to End Addiction
 

 

Addiction was my disease. I am recovered. I am living.
By McCord Henry
Partner for Hope Marathon Team Member


For runners, there are six major marathons: Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago and New York. But in 2019, I chose to run my first marathon in an even more important city to me, the same city where I began my recovery journey: Baltimore, MD. On April 9, 2017, my brother opened his Charm City home to me, six days after I took my last drink.

My introduction to drinking was like many others'. I started late in high school and had a “normal” college drinking experience. After school, I began working, but my job made me miserable. My life began to center around alcohol. Eventually, I quit my job and moved to Los Angeles to pursue a dream of working in casting. I bartended to pay the bills and my drinking turned into a full-fledged addiction. To support it, I depleted my 401k. Struggling and broke, my family encouraged me to get help.

After an inpatient treatment program, I lived in a sober house for nine months. I graduated from this program not thinking I had a problem. I was only depressed. I found solace in a bottle. You can be addicted to a substance without being an “addict,” right? I was normal.


Read more



 
Partnership to End Addiction

485 Lexington Avenue,Suite 300
New York, NY 10017
drugfree.org

 
FacebookInstagramYouTubeTwitter
 

Get involved

Prevention & early action

Treatment & recovery

About us

privacy policy  |  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment