Saturday, December 1, 2018

Yesterday’s home runs don’t win today’s games.” ~~Babe Ruth

“What you know today can affect what you do tomorrow. But what you know today cannot affect what you did yesterday.” ~~Condoleezza Rice

 “Why let go of yesterday? Because yesterday has let go of you.” ~~Steve Maraboli


Statement #9:
 The past is gone forever.
No longer am I victimized by the past.
I am a new woman.

Recently in our f2f group, one 4C woman brilliantly described how she curtails thoughts about the past.  In her mind, she imagines or envisions “auto-correct,” backing up and erasing regrets/negative thoughts and replacing the words with statements which empower her towards her goals. This is an excellent tool to put action into Statement #9.

Instead of replaying events or thoughts from the past, we can zap unhealthy or unproductive lines of thinking and insert self-encouragement. Our Program booklet states “To loosen one’s grip on the past is not always easy. We evaluate our past so we can learn from it. We examine our feelings about the past so we can process and release them. Our interest in the past is to use it as a guide for how we want to be in the moment and to prepare for the future.”

Sobriety and Statement #9 in action focus on the present and plans for tomorrow. Romancing past alcohol or drug use kept the process repeating, but this critical Statement offers alternative choices and opens up endless possibility.

Hugzzz
Karen

Hi 4C Women,

The past has come back to me this past week and it's been a struggle to work through it. As I reached out, I realized how blessed I am for Statement 9 and the support I received. I don't usually read my horoscope which is on the side bar of my home page but for some reason, I decided to and here is what it said on the very day I couldn't stop the tears and reached out. "You will likely receive the support you need if you seek out advice on a problem today. But where you find counsel isn't as important as the information you are given. The key message is that you needn't go through life's rough patches or face its array of baffling questions alone. You also don't have to feel like you're the only person who must come up with all the answers now. Thankfully, it warms your heart to know that others have your back when you need them."  

As I started my Christmas decorating, I decided to open each wrapped ornament, ceramic item, holiday photos and snowmen (I am a collector) with great care and reflection. I was overwhelmed with gratefulness for the love I have experienced in my life even while feeling sad about the losses. I cannot change the past and while there are times I am conflicted with regrets, Statement 9 brings me back to the realization that it is futile to be stuck with what cannot be changed. So I keep on learning, trying to understand my strong reactions and seek peace and healing. I hope that each of you will reach out when you need to share unsettling feelings, gain insight from others and know you are doing the best you can. You are enough and most importantly, you are not alone. Part of no longer victimizing ourselves begins with forgiving ourselves for our mistakes and unhealthy choices. No longer will we be the provider of punishment and continued suffering. We can go to that auto correct button and press "forgive, heal and learn from the past.  
Bonded in forgiveness, healing and learning as the past is gone forever!! 
4C WFS Member 

Copyright © Women for Sobriety, Inc. | All rights reserved | Federal ID # 23-1972763
Email: contact@womenforsobriety.org | Ph: 215.536.8026 | Fax: 215.538.9026
Women for Sobriety, Inc. | P.O. Box 618Quakertown, PA 18951-0618
About our service provider
Sent by contact@womenforsobriety.org

No comments:

Post a Comment