Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Why I Share My Story as a Father of Sons in Recovery
Paul Kusiak - father of two sons in recovery

My family was grateful for the opportunity to contribute to a recent public service announcement campaign (PSA). I’m a regular dad, so I was a little nervous during the filming. I must admit, as soon the producer left my home, my mind flooded with thoughts of things I could have phrased differently or points I'd missed. Being in front of a camera isn’t as comfortable for me as being in a parent support group or helping someone one-on-one when they are in crisis.

My youngest son, Jared, best describes why my family embraced participating and why I volunteer as a parent coach and family advocate. When he was just beginning his recovery path, he didn’t hesitate to say, “Dad, I don’t care what anyone thinks of me, if it might help one other young person like me avoid what I went through and one other family like ours avoid what we went through.” He was 16 years old when he first entered treatment for struggles with opioids.
Read More & Watch Paul's video



Image
Parent Toll-Free Helpline1-855-DRUGFREE
drugfree.org

© Partnership for Drug-Free Kids
352 Park Ave South | 9th Floor | New York, NY 10010
 

No comments:

Post a Comment