Wednesday, November 7, 2018

“You can find something truly important in an ordinary minute.” ~~Mitch Albom

“Life is amazing. And then it’s awful. And then it’s amazing again. And in between the amazing and the awful its ordinary and mundane and routine. Breathe in the amazing, hold on through the awful, and relax and exhale during the ordinary. That’s just living heartbreaking, soul-healing, amazing, awful, ordinary life. And it’s breathtakingly beautiful.” ~~LR Knost
“Sobriety is a rewarding experience for those who invest in the moments of each day.” ~~Jean Kirkpatrick, Ph.D.

Statement #6
  Life can be ordinary or it can be great.
Greatness is mine by a conscious effort.

What’s in a minute? Joy? Sadness? Curiosity? Awe? Each of these listed here, plus endless other moments can be experienced in sixty seconds. In the past, before sobriety and New Life, it was easy to rush through to the next moment, ignoring everything to get to somewhere else. It was easy to miss life, which created a cycle of yearning for more and then missing the present again. 

Statement #6 in action can assist in focusing on being present. From our Program booklet, “Although we only get a one-way ticket through life, we speed through our days as if planning to enjoy them at another time. We live as if there are an endless number of tomorrows.”  With this knowledge, each moment can be lived fully, increasing feelings of balance while lessening regret.

Investing in each moment can lead to feelings of contentment, peace of mind and simple joy. Do you recall the first time you became aware of being connected to the moment? It feels wondrous! The sun warmed my face, the breeze tasseled my hair and the fall colors mesmerized my eyes; I was acutely aware of how fleeting that moment was and felt grateful for being present. No matter the circumstances, one moment follows another and we have the choice to be present. 

Hugzzz
Karen
Hi 4C Women,

I love the quote from LR Knost that Karen included in this message. Just as happiness is created, not waited for, I feel the same way about ordinary life, including those that become moments of greatness. Or, I would say, those moments of "awareness" of joy, surprise and wonder. I received two thank you cards last week and read them over and over because they were so loving and kind. They truly brightened an ordinary day. I felt the same joy on Halloween. The little kids are so joyful, showing off their costumes and grinning from ear to ear when I hold out the bowl of candy for them to choose from. It's fun and brings back wonderful memories of my childhood when my mom took my sister and I out trick or treating.  For me, most of my great moments are the ordinary ones that become extraordinary because of one intense feeling - love! A beautiful sunset, leaves changing, a bonding moment with a friend or stranger who responded to my conversation, finding a cute decoration on sale, quiet reflection - all of these for me are love whether it's nature or people. It's the feeling that changes the ordinary into greatness and that is the conscious effort of awareness.

This week, I encourage you to practice that awareness. Make a list of the things that brought the ordinary into greatness. At the end of the week, keep the list handy to remind you of all that's ordinarily wonderful, joyful and great in your life.  

Bonded in awareness, 4C WFS Member
Copyright © Women for Sobriety, Inc. | All rights reserved | Federal ID # 23-1972763
Email: contact@womenforsobriety.org | Ph: 215.536.8026 | Fax: 215.538.9026

Women for Sobriety, Inc. | P.O. Box 618Quakertown, PA 18951-0618
About our service provider
Sent by contact@womenforsobriety.org

No comments:

Post a Comment