Wednesday, March 4, 2015

 Women for Sobriety, Inc.
"Your Attitude is Contagious."  So, make it a good one to spread around!

҉ 

“Nothing is so contagious as enthusiasm.”  -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

“Your attitude is contagious.”  -Kevin Plank

“Enthusiasm is as infectious as a new viral strain.  Let one woman in a room have it and everyone gets it.  It spreads freely, never caring who gets it or what the results might be.”
-WFS Program Booklet by Jean Kirkpatrick, Ph.D.

**********************************************
Statement #11, “Enthusiasm is my daily exercise.”
I treasure all moments of my new life.
**********************************************

+++++++++++++++++++
Karen’s Perspective  +
+++++++++++++++++++
     So many people have come down with the flu or various kinds of viral infections during this seemingly long, cold winter season.  Hacking coughs, runny noses and tired bodies have flooded the isles at their local stores, painfully searching for some kind of relief.  Taking note of this vast and quick transmission of microscopic invaders, I was reminded of the words that Jean wrote in the WFS Program Booklet:  “Enthusiasm is as infectious as a new viral strain.”  I began to think about “catching” enthusiasm from someone.  I thought long and purposeful on this and discovered an interesting question.
     “Would anyone want to ‘catch’ my attitude?  I wondered.  The answer was both YES and NO.
     Asking myself this question before sobriety and my New Life, I would have said that everyone would want to catch anything from me for I said that I was filled with enthusiasm and loving life.  I was living large and in charge and there was no stopping me.  Of course this was a complete lie; my alcohol abuse was the first clue.  Alcohol owned me at that point and what I thought was enthusiasm was nothing more than drunkenness.  Today I can honestly say that the one thing people caught from me back then was anything but enthusiasm.  So, NO.
     Looking at my life today, I can answer this with a beautiful and honest YES.  I am a 4C woman who really enjoys and appreciates life and feels genuine enthusiasm.  I recall a moment when I felt that I was supposed to feel enthusiasm; but, I felt blank instead, almost empty.  My brain was telling me this was a moment to be enthused but my body was not cooperating.  I quickly recognized this and “faked it til I made it” and then, sure enough, I began to genuinely feel it.
     Statement #11 and the WFS Program offer me the opportunity to make different choices and feel different.  I feel thankful to be around anyone with real enthusiasm and love it when I “catch” theirs.  It is a feeling that stays with me long after the initial appearance and continues on, transforming, connecting and embracing life.  I really do treasure moments!  Hugzzz, Karen

  • Is my attitude worth catching? 
+++++++++++++++
+  Dee’s Insights  +
+++++++++++++++
     Hi 4C Women, Having been one of those sick people this winter, along with other health issues, I relate to wondering if anyone would want to catch my enthusiasm at this very moment.  I recently told someone that I consider myself a positive person; but, lately, I had to work hard at it.  That brings me to what I call my foundation of peace and calm that I have found through WFS.  Even when I am struggling with being positive or enthusiastic, I know I have built a strong foundation to keep me grounded when I am feeling a bit out of sorts.
     However, there is something about physical health that has a strong impact on other aspects of your life.  It is feeling vulnerable and stuck in a place you don’t want to be.  I am more comfortable dealing with emotional challenges because I can reach out for help, reflect on my own personal growth in this area and know that I have choices which I can learn from when I make mistakes.  Being sick is the one area where my attitude can be put to the test.
     I would encourage everyone to work on building that foundation of strength for the times when life throws a curve and work on building relationships that support you when you need help.  That is the beauty of WFS.  We accept what we are feeling and work through it, not run away or deny it.  It keeps us authentic and helps us receive compassion as well as giving it.  -Dee
_________________________
Thank you, Karen and Dee, for your words of encouragement and inspiration to start off our week!  ~Becky Fenner, WFS Director
Email:  newlife@nni.com   *   Tel215-536-8026   *   Fax:  215-538-9026
http://www.womenforsobriety.org   *   http://www.wfscatalog.org

No comments:

Post a Comment