Sunday, July 13, 2014


How's Your Mental Health?
Take a Quiz and Find Out
Are you depressed? Anxious? Take a short test to measure or identify depression, anxiety, PTSD, and Narcissism. Plus bonus quizzes: Are you an extrovert or an introvert? Is your partner trying to control you?

Shutterstock



07/10/14





Click to jump to your question:






Short Depression Screen*

Answer “yes” or “no” to the following questions:
I have lost interest in things I used to like to do. 


I feel hopeless about my future. 


I find it more difficult than it should be to make decisions.

I feel sluggish and often get tired for no reason. 


I am gaining or losing weight without intending to. 


I feel helpless to make changes I’d like to make in my life. 


I am sleeping too much, or too little. 


I often feel unhappy or sad, or easily cry. 


I easily become irritable or anxious. 


I think about dying or killing myself. 

If you answered “yes” to three or more of these questions, and you have felt this way most every day for several weeks, you may be experiencing depression and should seek a full assessment by a psychiatrist, mental health counselor or other health care professional. If you answered yes to question 10, you should seek help immediately, regardless of your answer to any other questions.

*A screen is a short, simple tool used to identify potential risk. It is not a full mental health assessment and does not indicate a diagnosis. It is intended for educational purposes and for determining if a fuller assessment of risk by a mental health professional is indicated.





Short PTSD Screen*

Answer “yes” or “no” to the following questions: 
Have you experienced or witnessed an event that made you feel intensely fearful, helplessness, or horrified?


Do you repeatedly have memories or ruminations about an unsettling or traumatic event that you witnessed or experienced? 


Do you have recurring, distressing dreams about an unsettling or traumatic event that you witnessed or experienced?


Do you experience flashbacks (feeling as if a traumatic event were happening again, like you are “reliving” it)?


Do you become physically or emotionally distressed when something reminds you of a traumatic event that you witnessed or experienced?


Do you avoid activities, places, or people that remind you of a traumatic event that you witnessed or experienced?

Do you feel detached from other people since witnessing or experiencing a traumatic event?


Do you feel that your range of emotions has become restricted since you witnessed or experienced a traumatic event?


Are you get uncharacteristically irritable or angry after having experienced a traumatic event?


Do you feel a need to be "on guard" since you witnessed or experienced a traumatic event?

Are you more easily startled after having experienced a traumatic event?

If you answered “yes” to the first question plus three or more additional questions, and you have felt this way since the traumatic event happened, you may be experiencing post-traumatic stress. You should seek a full assessment by a psychiatrist, mental health counselor or other health care professional.

*A screen is a short, simple tool used to identify potential risk. It is not a full mental health assessment and does not indicate a diagnosis. It is intended for educational purposes and for determining if a fuller assessment of risk by a mental health professional is indicated. 





Short Anxiety Screen*

Answer “yes” or “no” to the following questions:
Would you describe yourself as a “worrier” ?


Have you ever experienced shortness of breath, palpitations or shaking for no apparent reason?


Are you ever concerned that you may lose control of yourself, or "go crazy"?


Do you often avoid social situations because you are concerned that you won’t know what to say or how to act?


Do you have specific fears of certain things (ex. animals) or activities (ex: flying)?


Do you often feel restless or fidgety?


Do you often worry that something bad will happen to you or someone close to you?


Do you have trouble concentrating or maintaining a mental focus?


Do you get physical symptoms (sweating, pounding heart, upset stomach) when you are in unfamiliar circumstances?


Do you tend to anticipate the worst outcomes rather than the more favorable ones?

If you answered “yes” to three or more of these questions, and you have felt this way most every day for several weeks, you may be experiencing anxiety and should seek a full assessment by a psychiatrist, mental health counselor or other health care professional.

*A screen is a short, simple tool used to identify potential risk. It is not a full mental health assessment and does not indicate a diagnosis. It is intended for educational purposes and for determining if a fuller assessment of risk by a mental health professional is indicated.





Are You Narcissistic… or are You Really Better than Everyone Else?

Answer “yes” or “no” to the following questions:
I have a natural talent for influencing people.


I enjoy being the center of attention.


I believe I am a special person.


I am assertive, in a good way.


I see myself as a leader.


I find it easy to get people to do things I ask of them.


I rarely need to depend on others to get things done.


I usually inspire respect from others, and I feel I deserve it.


I have a strong will to be successful; therefore I am.


I am never satisfied unless I get all that I deserve.

If you answered “yes” to 3-4 of the above questions, you have a good sense of self-esteem, which is helpful for reaching goals and being satisfied with your life. If you answered “yes” to 5-8 of the above questions, you are likely to be a little cocky – which can be a good thing if tempered with respect and genuine concern for others. If you answered “yes” to 9 or all 10 of the above questions, you may have a somewhat over-stated view of your own personal worth….or then again, if you really are that good, kudos to you…just try not to look down on the rest of us, please!





Are You an Introvert or Extrovert?

Would you rather…….
A. Go to a party?
B. Stay home and read a book?


A. Work with a team?
B. Work alone?


A. Join in a group conversation at a party?
B. Stay on the sidelines and chat with just one person?


A. Ask your friends their opinions about solving a problem?
B. Figure it out for yourself?


A. Be spontaneous in your speech and actions?
B. Hold back and take time to think before you speak or act?

If you answered "A" to four or more of the above questions, then you likely have more of an extroverted (outgoing and novelty-seeking) personality style. Extroverts tend to have a wider circle of friends and acquaintances, but they may not have extremely close ties with anyone inside these circles.

If you answered "B" to four or more of the above questions, then you likely have more of an introverted (thoughtful and reserved) personality style. Introverts often choose friends more carefully and strive for more closeness in their relationships. 

If your answers included a more equal mix of “As” and “Bs," then you are flexible in your personality style, depending on the situation. Many people have a mix of both styles.





Is Your Partner Trying to Control You?

Answer “yes” or “no” to the following questions:
My partner says I spend too much time with my friends.


My partner accuses me of flirting when I am just being friendly.


My partner tells me how I should dress.


My partner regularly checks my phone and email messages.


My partner texts me and/or calls me multiple times each day.


My partner says he/she is the only one I need in my life.


My partner won’t let me go away for weekend trips without him/her.


My partner tells me that he/she knows what is best for me.


My partner gets moody or angry when I disagree with him/her.


My partner has a hard time accepting “no” for an answer, especially from me.

If you answered “yes” to 2-3 of the above questions, you may be involved with someone who is a bit controlling. You should watch for escalation of this behavior, and view any increase in the behavior as a red flag. If you answered “yes” to 4-6 of the above questions, you are indeed dealing with a controlling person….not a good indicator for a mutually respectful and supportive relationship. You may want to consider your options before you are in too deep. If you answered “yes” to 7- 10 of the above questions, you may actually be experiencing emotional abuse. Please reach out to family, friends and/or a counselor to address ways to remedy this risky situation.

----

Rita Milios, LCSW, is the Mental Health Editor for The Fix and is a psychotherapist in private practice, author of more than 30 books, and frequent professional lecturer and on-camera expert. She also facilitates workshops and training for clinicians, therapists, writers, holistic practitioners, businesses and associations. She is known as "The Mind Mentor" because of her unique approach to “mind tools training.” RitaMilios.linktoexpert.com

No comments:

Post a Comment